Monday, August 30, 2004

Redneck In The City

I've always said that I would try anything once. Today I had to answer that pledge with action. Nathaniel has been itching to kill some of the ground hogs that have been visiting our garden lately. Tonight, one of them came to an untimely but humane end. Death was instant but it's still disturbing to see a creature flinch and twitch as the last sparks are fired through it's nerves. At least I guess that's what it was. Nathaniel showed off his killing to the neighbor who was also "hunting ground hog" recently. Then he skinned and gutted the carcass. And then...he cooked up the meat. Yes, ground hog/woodchuck is edible. I tasted it, and it was good. But my brain had a hard time separating the joy of eating with the flashbacks of the rodent's demise. But, like I said before, I've always said that I would try anything once. That was the one and only time I will be eating groundhog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home