Monday, September 13, 2004

The Frances Aftermath

So, I finally got out last Friday to see the devastation caused by all the flooding from Frances. I wanted to cry. There were houses at the bottom of the other side of the hill that have been condemned. There was a lot of garbage pressed up against the guard rails on some of the bridges where the water had been rushing. It looked like a war zone. Now, with Ivan making what looks to be a bee line for us, I'm concerned that it may be us next time. We went to a 38th birthday party for a friend of ours. There were folks there that were affected by the flooding. Apparently, there are several cracks in some majorly important dam somewhere. If Ivan dumps on us before the dam is repaired we'll be washed away. That would be one hell of a flood because we live on top of a good sized hill. Anyone know how to build an Ark?

Nathaniel's wine making is coming along nicely. It stinks but it's also alcohol, so I'll live happily with it. It should be ready for drinking in about a week or two I believe. WOOHOO!!!

I've been working on an afghan for my mom. She taught me to crochet the other weekend so I'm attempting a granny square afghan. It will be a Christmas present if I don't give up between now and then. She'll get it mistakes and all. So far I'm very pleased with how things are coming along. I like the whole instant gratification thing. It's much faster and less mundane than knitting. Knitting sucks!! Crochet rules!! Oh dear God I am a total dork...

Well, Nathaniel's last day at work will be this Thursday. Those rich, fat, fuckers are laying him off then....he's the last to go; all the others finished last Friday. Apparently, the making of corn chips is more appealing than installing security alarms. Yes, they are giving up a very lucrative ADT dealership with a huge local market to make corn chips. What really gripes my ass is that Nathaniel is the best worker they have ever had there and they're too blinded by money and corn chips to see it. Every time they threw more bullshit in his lap he'd keep trudging along not asking questions. He was always on time, extremely professional with customers, very proficient at his work, etc, etc. There are NOT a lot of 22 year olds out there with the same work ethic. I'll be the first to admit I'm one of them. Oh well, Nathaniel isn't worried so neither am I. He'll get to take a 4 month "vacation" drawing unemployment. He told me that this couldn't have happened at a more convenient time for him because deer season started the other day. Now, he'll have all the time in the world to hunt. When he decides to work again he'll do the same thing only under Dustin's license, and he's agreed to pay him under the table for a little while. How 'bout that?!

My morning cigarette is calling and I've got an old brown dog starting to bark....have a great day!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home