Friday, March 11, 2005

Home Again

I love my parents and all but we've traveled to see them every weekend for the past 4 weeks! They only live an hour and a half away, but it's nice to get back home. We had a reason for each visit, however. This last trip was to help out around the house after Dad got out of the hospital. He's diabetic and lost both legs below the knee because of it. He had to have about an inch of bone taken from the end of his left stump and now he's in a cast. We didn't have to stay very long at all. He was very mobile from the beginning. I was pleasantly surprised with that. Mom has to work long hours so she can't be home to help. Now if he could just get on disability. Yeah, the man hasn't had any legs for several years now and still our beloved government refuses to help him out. Due to health problems he hasn't been able to work since 1996. My parents have depleted any life savings they had and now Mom has to work her ass off and still the ends aren't meeting. Luckily my grandfather has been able to help along the way, but this can't continue for ever. Dad has applied and been denied disability benefits two or three times now. The last time he hired a lawyer and appealed the decision. Some time last year he was approved but now they have to cut through all the red tape and utter bullshit. Apparently they're having a hard time trying to decide exactly when he became disabled. FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!!! My father was always a hard worker, paid his taxes on time, never in trouble with the law, superb husband to my mother and a wonderful father to my sister and me. This poor man has been shit on from the time he was born! Sigh...what can ya do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home