Saturday, March 26, 2005

Uncomfortably Numb

When did life turn to shit? Do you know? Nathaniel told me tonight that he feels he has failed us. This is so far from the truth, but I cannot convince him otherwise. He is my hero. He saved me from the depths of a dark depression and carried me through. He is 23 years old, has the work ethic of someone not from this generation. He's honest, caring, trustworthy, loving...but he feels he has failed at being the "bread winner." I'm not hungry, neither is our son and we have clothing on our backs and a roof over our heads. This is not the product of failure. He's hurting right now, ashamed. I am his wife and I feel his pains, he thinks I do not, but we are one. I'm at a loss as to how to help him. I know we'll make it through. Maybe that's the optimist in me. We've come too far to run away.

I remember a time when we were carefree. We could sit for hours staring at a flower pondering the depths of it's beauty. We've grown numb. Not towards each other or the son we share, but towards life and the inevitable heartache. I mourn the loss of our youth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home