Wednesday, March 23, 2005

You Might Be A Redneck If...

I may become a living "Redneck" joke. My husband was laid off from work in September. He signed up for unemployment benefits and has been actively searching for work ever since. Unfortunately, he has had no luck. Our local economy is shit. He had an interview a few weeks ago and he really felt the job would be great for him, plus the pay was good as were the benefits. The interviewer said that he would be in touch with my husband the following week to let him know either way about the job. It's been 2.5 weeks now and still no word. Hubby's unemployment runs out sometime this month. The last resort would be training for a CDL and driving a truck. I'm not thrilled about this prospect at all. I would be home alone with our young son for extended periods of time. We have only one vehicle which is a 1976 Cutlass. Long story short about the car...we bought it for $200 from the grandmother of a friend of mine. It was to be a "project" car for my husband. We also had at the time a little Geo. The day after we bought the Cutlass I was in the Geo with my son who at the time was about 2 months old. We were just around the corner from our home at an intersection where an old lady had a stroke, ran a red light, and t-boned us totaling the car. What luck, eh. Since then the Cutlass has been our family car. Granted it's been fairly reliable thus far, but it helps that hubby has some mechanical knowledge...I on the other hand do not. I'm learning however as things go wrong with the car and we fix them ourselves. I just don't want to be stranded somewhere with just me and my son. We don't have any family close to us for me to call upon. I really hope hubby doesn't have to drive a truck. Granted, from what I hear the money is decent, but I'm not a fan of being alone. We'll just see.

In other semi stressing news...My son had a regularly scheduled appointment with his pediatrician over a month ago. He had to be tested for lead again which was normal procedure. The results were to be in within 2-4 weeks...I still haven't heard anything. I'm going to call first thing in the morning. The first time he was tested for lead was at his one year well baby check up. The results came back kind of high. He had to be retested. This time instead of a finger prick the blood was drawn from a vein in his arm...he wasn't happy about that. Again, his levels were high, but not high enough to be overly concerned (according to the county) I still freaked the fuck out! He was to be tested again a via blood from his arm a certain amount of time later. His levels had come down to the high side of acceptable. We have no idea how this could have happened...unless our previous landlord was less than truthful about the water tests. We didn't stay there very long. STUPID BITCH!!

At any rate. That's what's on my plate...how 'bout yours?

1 Comments:

At March 26, 2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Its Me! said...

It sure doesn't seem fair that so many young couples are under intense pressure. My daughter is in a similar situation with 3 little kids, no grade 12 and her husband appartantly can't work because of a mental illness. It is frustrating see her (and so many) struggle so much! I sincerely hope things take a turn for the better for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home